In 1994, the Texas Trees Foundation dedicated Pioneer Plaza to the City of Dallas providing a focal point with historical significance for downtown Dallas. The Plaza commemorates Dallas’ beginnings by celebrating the trails that brought settlers to Dallas. The site features native plants and trees and a flowing stream in a natural setting and a re-creation of a cattle drive in bronze with longhorn steers being driven by three cowboys on horses. Each piece of bronze art was created by artist Robert Summers of Glen Rose, Texas. It is located adjacent to the Dallas Convention Center at Young and Griffin between the historical Pioneer Cemetery and the Dallas Convention Center. Pioneer Plaza represents the largest public open space in the central business district. Developed on what was once a 4.2 acre parking lot, Pioneer Plaza is second only to Dealey Plaza as the most-visited landmark in downtown Dallas.
Click on an image for a full-size photo and history of the figure.
Other features of Pioneer Plaza include a waterfall, man-made cliffs, native plant life and the small historic details on the sculptures. For more history and description, click here.
Through the Texas Trees Foundation, the public can purchase life-size and miniature replicas of the sculptures in Pioneer Plaza. For more information on how to purchase the sculptures contact: Texas Trees Foundation at 214-953-1184.